Wednesday 18 July 2007

STRATFORD ON THE AVON - Thursday, July 10

"... where oxlips and the nodding violets grow..."

STRATFORD ON THE AVON
Reflecting...
Oxford was a hard act to follow, but Stratford-on-the-Avon, Shakespeare's hometown certainly has its own charm. Its only drawback is that the large number of tourists make it hard for it not to be too "touristy". It's almost hard to remember that it is real and old and not a 21st century Disney theme center. I especially enjoyed Stratford as I had recently read Loving Will, young adult historical fiction available at your Zachary Branch Library, told from the point of view of Anne Hathaway. I wanted to see her home also, but I am trying to accept that I will not see EVERYTHING in England. My favourite place was Holy Trinity Church where Shakespeare worshipped and where others continue to do so today.

SOME OF STRATFORD’S SHAKESPEARE SITES
Famous sites I did see in Stratford include the house in which Shakespeare was born, the home of Shakespeare’s daughter and her husband John Hall (Hall’s Croft), and the home of Shakespeare’s granddaughter Elizabeth, and her first husband Thomas Nash (Nash’s House), and the foundations of the house in which Shakespeare and probably Anne Hathaway died. (New Place).

Gardens flourish at all of these sites and were my favourite part of each stop.

In Shakespeare’s birthplace, I also liked the room which was used for his father’s glove-making business. What a different legacy WS would have left if he had continued his father’s business.

THE SHAKESPEARE LIBRARY
The Shakespeare Library, located next to the house in which he was born, is open by appointment for scholarly research. With its own cataloging system, this library has a small but gracious staff available to assist.


TRINITY CHURCH
The peaceful and historic grounds around Trinity Church ,scattered with graves from centuries back, called for me to wander, but time did not permit. Instead, I spent time absorbing the beauty of the 25 stained glass windows. I keep looking for a stained glass window of Job, my Bible hero, but it wasn't here either.

The chapel included copies of parish registers, which document Shakespeare's baptismal and burial. It also featured a 15th century baptismal font in which Shakespeare was probably baptized. At some point it was removed from the church, then discovered in a local garden and returned to the church in 1823. For many, the highlight of the building was the area bearing the grave of William Shakespeare and members of his family, including Anne. He was given this privilege because he had become a "lay rector" .

Moonflowers bloomed over the brick wall of the cemetery grounds as I left Trinity Church.

"MACBETH" AT THE ROYAL SHAKESPEARE THEATRE
"Macbeth" at The Royal Shakespeare Theatre finished off the evening and almost finished off me also! In spite of the beauty and histor, it was a bit daunting watching the play from the third gallery and needing to lean over the rail to see some of the action. Needless to say, I missed that action. But action there was! Signs cautioning the visitor about loud noises, and instances of graphic violence and sex had wisely been posted around the theatre. I enjoyed the idea of being in Shakespeare's world, but the play reminded me that I prefer his comedies to his tragedies, as well as why they call these plays tragedies.

It was a memorable evening.

"...life's but a walking shadow..."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey! i'm going to cali this weekend and won't be back until september...